Have you tried to follow any meal plan and found it to be unsuccessful? There’s nothing more frustrating, right? Well, I’m here to help!
Regardless of your goal – whether it’s to shed some pounds, lower your cholesterol, manage diabetes, or prevent cancer – here are some quick, easy tips to help you get started and on the right track!
2) Balance your plate with carbohydrate, protein and fat. Divide your plate in half and fill up one side with lots of non-starchy vegetables (carrots, leafy green veggies, etc.). Then, divide the second half of the plate in half once again. In one quarter of the plate, add a lean protein such as chicken breast, turkey, fish or tofu. The last quarter of the plate should be filled with a starch like brown rice. If you do not like brown rice, try rice with beans for a slightly different spin! If you do not like whole wheat bread, try white whole wheat bread.
3) Don’t forget to eat protein in the morning. This will help you to cut back on carbohydrates and balance your diet. Eggs, any nut butter, turkey bacon, cottage cheese and yogurt are all excellent sources of protein.
4) Try to drink water rather than any sweetened beverages.
5) Try to eat at least 2 cups of fruit and 2 ½ cups of vegetables every day. Fresh, seasonal fruits, veggies, and smoothies make great snacks!
6) Eat or drink in a designated area. If you eat when you are driving or watching TV, you will not know when you are full. Listen to your body and eating cues instead of eating mindlessly!
-Posted by Haesun Hwang, MS, RD, CDE