This recipe was modified from Jessica Black’s recipe by Naturopathic Doctor Sarah Giardenelli.
This smoothie will help to ensure adequate protein consumption in the morning, which helps to sustain even blood sugars throughout the day. The added fiber via the flax seeds helps to increase satiety, regulate hormones in part by increasing sex hormone binding globulin, as well as helps to show absorption of sugar from the fruit. Sarah encourages eating breakfast, which is the most important meal of the day!
- 2 tablespoons of rice and/or pea protein powder OR 1-2 Tablespoons of organic Maranatha brand almond butter
- 1 cup of organic frozen berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and cherries)
- 2 cups of rice, coconut, or almond milk (use water if you prefer, or half water and half milk)
- 1/2 to 1 cup spinach or kale, either raw or lightly steamed OR 1/2 – 1 teaspoon of Barlean’s Green Powder
- 1/2 – 1 frozen banana, cut into chunks
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly ground flaxseeds
- 1 – 3 teaspoons of omega-3 fatty acid oil or Barlean’s flaxseed oil if vegetarian/vegan
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of probiotics
- Xylitol, Truvia, or a bit of honey if the smoothie is not sweet enough for you
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend to desired thickness and consistency. Serves 1 – 2.